People say I’m an extremely patient person. But you know what? I’m not. Things annoy me. Lots of things- just ask my husband. And if you think I’m just a good natured sort of gal, always smiling and engaging, you might be surprised to know that I’m most likely totally distracted and annoyed by:
- The sticky glob on the floor that my unfortunate foot just stepped on.
- Hearing someone talking on their cell phone while I’m trying to hear what you’re saying.
- Having to wait in line.
- Hearing mouth breathing over the phone by the computer tech guy.
- Smelling the perfume on some gal coming towards me… a block away.
- The tiny irregularity of my newly crowned molar that my tongue can’t seem to leave alone.
- The driver ahead of me going 30 in a 50-mph zone.
- The food stain on your chin that I cannot stop staring at.
- Mosquito bites.
……….and the list goes on. And on and on and on. And it drives me crazy.
I was reading a thread on Facebook the other day where a woman posted how she goes bonkers when she hears mouth noises. Smack. Smack. Chew. Chew. And you know what? I totally get it.
But why is this? My experience is that these irritating annoyances are very commonly seen in people with ADHD. Of course, we are a distracted bunch and it makes sense that such things would drive us off course (and want us to drive over a cliff).
Could there be more to it? Is it that we simply notice more things than others? Then why is this called Attention DEFICIT? Is it that we’re wired to feel and experience things more strongly and thus, we react too strongly?
Is it being impulsive and not being patient enough to just let things slide?
Or is it all of the above?
What drives you over the edge? And how do you deal with it? Please share in the Comment Section below.